- What are the key drivers of prescribing within my market?
- Do allied health professionals represent an untapped opportunity within my market?
- Is patient experience a driver of physician and/or patient treatment selection in my market?
Objective evaluation of the primary and secondary data, research and published literature that supports or challenges a specific marketing opportunity for your brand
Read below to find out more about how we think about assessing new marketing opportunities.
Four Pitfalls to Sub-Optimal Launch in Specialty and/or Orphan Disease States
by Dan Reinhardt
We recently had the opportunity to perform a disciplined evaluation of specialty care products that never reached their intended market potential (as assessed by publicly available manufacturer sales expectations). Think Provenge by Dendreon or Benlysta by HGS/GSK as examples—although neither of these products were included in our analysis.
During our analysis, four key pitfalls were identified:
- Marketing the drug, not the disease – abandoning the market conditioning strategy after approval and ignoring educational prescripts that are essential for internalizing your brand positioning
- Underestimating the role of the patient – confusing low incidence with low influence and therefore, assuming the underlying MD-patient relationship is doctor-dictated
- Over-Reliance on KOL Input – Presuming ‘ivory tower’ KOL opinions are representative of community-based treaters and building your communication platform and tactical investment framework around KOL input alone
- Minimizing treatment support system needs – immature reimbursement advocacy services that, at best, put the burden on the physician and, at worse, put the burden on the patient and their extended care network
Part of running an evidence-based marketing company is applying third-party, retrospective evidence to assist new Clients with prospective needs. Let us help you apply some of these hard-learned lessons so you don’t have to become part of our next case study.
Contact us to learn more about any of our services.